Sonlight banner

Sonlight Curriculum

Monday, August 6, 2012

New Adventures

I haven't posted in a while, even though there has been a lot going on I felt that I had nothing to say! Just to kind of do a bullet point quick run through of the last year...

  • Feb 2012 - decided to get a little more serious about looking for land/house to maybe someday start farming and living a more self-sustaining lifestyle. Found a house and property right away, went ahead and took the plunge!
  • Listed our current home for lease purchase, only took 9 days to have someone sign papers!
  • FINALLY closed on farm end of March after 2 months of headaches with a HORRIBLE mortgage broker. 
  • March 2012 - Moved to 21 acres in Northeast Georgia!! 
  • March 2012 - Moved 2 hours away from family, friends, church... :( 
And now it is August and we've been here right about 4 months.  Lots of changes have taken place because of moving.
First, I will tell you I'm a generally very organized person but I had to shift into overdrive when we started packing and moving. We moved from a 3,600 sq. ft. house to a 1,600 sq ft. house. And might I just say the previous house was over flowing with closet space in every room, hallway etc. Here we have 2 total closets for the whole house!
One for clothes and the other for general storage (mainly school supplies!)

How did I make that work? Well I got rid of A LOT of stuff. We had a couple weekends of massive yard sales. When I started cleaning out closets I started noticing that we were keeping a lot of things just because we had someplace to put them, like towels! I must have gotten rid of 2 dozen towels at least. I will probably do another post at some point on how I went through things and decided what to get rid of and how I fit 5 peoples clothes into 1 closet.

We went from 4 bed/4 bath 2 story house to a 1 story ranch with 3 small bedrooms and 1 bathroom. I know that sounds drastic and some days I doubt our sanity on the bathroom issue alone, BUT it has been great to see the changes in our family and lives since moving to the country.

Our first animals on the farm were ducks and they have been providing us with about 1/2 dozen fresh eggs every day since. We're on the lookout for some calves but needed a tractor and some other big things before we can purchase more animals.

I had started doing menu planning several years ago at least loosely, but now I've had to really be strict on it and very organized because of how far we are from the grocery store. We do have one store about 10 miles away but it's not one I like to shop at and generally only go in every once in a while. "Town" is 35 miles in one direction or 45 miles in the other. I will do a post later on about my menu planning and shopping as well.

I'm hoping to update more often with family and farm updates!

Blessings,
Mandi

No comments:

Post a Comment